Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 09:52:38 UTC 2017

I'm Tony Baechler. See below.

On 4/23/2017 3:11 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> Absolutely.  For a number of years now, I've thought it would be nice to
>> have an umbrella foundation to help accessibility related projects.  I
>> don't know where it would get its funding, and I don't know what
>> considerations it would need to make when allocating resources to
>> projects.  Honestly I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but
>> the Linux Access Foundation sounds like a really good idea, in theory.

Yes. I would much rather see Vinux and Sonar resources used in this way. We
really need an umbrella organization. How about VIBLUG? Visually Impaired
and Blind Linux Users Group. I guess it isn't technically a LUG, but you get
the idea. As to funding, as I've said before, it needs to be US-based. No,
I'm not being US-centric, I'm being realistic. There are lots of companies
who already support Linux development. Google and HP come to mind. Due to
the sheer size of the population, I think a US nonprofit could get a lot
more funding. Beyond that, social media is the next frontier. I can't stand
Facebook, tumblr etc, but that's how you get the message out. Have a look at
<http://diasp.org/>. It's an open source social network. Be warned that it
isn't that accessible. Since it isn't centralized, anyone can run their own
pod. The nonprofit could and should run one and could modify the software to
make it accessible. Remember the teens and young adults of today are the
potential donors and coders of tomorrow.

> Yes. FSF could also do it now a11y makes part of priorities.

Really? From what I've seen, they're focused on too many other projects. I
think a dedicated organization would be better. If we're part of the FSF, we
play by their rules. If the FSF decides they don't like Fedora because it
isn't free enough, they pull funding and support. Getting FSF support would
be a very good idea and I support working with them, but I think we need to
be independent.