document conversion utilities was Re: the Sonar thread

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 16:39:20 UTC 2017

Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com> writes:

> the following command line utilities are all useful:
>
> catdoc for .doc and I believe .rtf(and I believe catdoc also includes
> commands to handle xls and ppt).
*snip*
> Granted, I know of no command line tools for dealing with ePub or
> Kindle

Most of the formats mentioned in this message, including epub, are
covered by pandoc.  Nope, it doesn't do Kindle.  It also will not read
PDF files, but it can write them.  It's really the most useful and
universal document-converting tool out there, and I highly recommend it.
It can even go the other way and convert Markdown to various word
processor formats, and that's really useful.

-- Chris