Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 17:22:35 UTC 2017

I just don't understand how you can fail to see how judgemental you are
being. My hardware speech synth is not obsolete as proven by the very
fact that I use it all the time and the speakup code is being actively
developed as we speak. It's just a different choice I made.  I have very
good reasons for preferring the hardware speech synth to a serial
terminal as I've already explained.

There is no technical reason for the serial terminal to be in the
mainstream kernel code and speakup not. That was an arbitrary decision
made by the kernel developers. I personally asked about this on the
kernel developers email list. Why can't speakup just borrow the code for
accessing the serial port from the serial terminal code? Because it has
the same problem. Well, if both speakup and the serial terminal have the
same problem with the way the access the serial port, what's the right
way? There is none. Okay, if they both access the serial port the wrong
way, why is the serial terminal code in the mainstream kernel code and
speakup in staging? No answer.
I am not likely to ever use sonar/vinux. I don't really have any skin in
this game. But I just find your my way or the highway attitude shocking
and unethical. I am not saying you have an ethical obligation to include
speakup in vinux. I am saying you have an ethical obligation to value
the opinions of others and not to merely dismiss them when they don't
happen to agree with your own way of doing things.

-- John Heim