Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 09:49:01 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

You make my point, exactly! All of the BSDs, Windows, and who knows what
else ship Gnome. Orca is part of Gnome. Therefore, they all ship Orca if
they ship a complete Gnome environment. That doesn't mean they care about
accessibility. That means they ship Orca because it's part of Gnome. Case in
point. KDE has a package called KAccessibility. I assume it ships with all
distros which ship KDE. KDE isn't accessible. KDE doesn't support Orca. Orca
doesn't support KDE since KDE doesn't have an a11y framework like Gnome and
MATE. Just because a vendor ships a product with accessibility components
doesn't mean: A. they care about accessibility and B. they make any effort
to make their products accessible. OpenSolaris ships a screen reader too.
Has anyone tried it? Is it accessible? I honestly don't know.

Regarding your comment that no distros and no main developers care about
accessibility, I flatly disagree. I've seen many posts to debian-boot and
debian-devel from DDs wanting to make sure packages are accessible. There
was a discussion about Java. Lots of work has gone into Debian-Installer.
They have made accessibility truly part of their design process. Slackware
was the first to ship a special Speakup kernel on their standard install
media. Ubuntu has made great strides, but I don't think they're at the same
level as Debian. I did see a post asking for people to join the
accessibility team and test for problems, file bugs, write docs, etc. There
is so much to do that I don't think a dozen nonprofits could do it all.