Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 12:20:35 UTC 2017

For what it's worth, Aptitude lists libc6 and libusb as the only
dependencies for SBL, though I'll admit a kernel module would explain
why I've never had any luck switching from a knoppix custom kernel to
a stock Debian kernel when Knoppix is 90+% debian packages with a few
Knoppix specific things.

Also, a google search for SBL rpms brings up the following page:
https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=sbl

Which indicates that it was in OpenSuse as recently as version
13.2(which if I'm reading the Wikipedia article on OpenSuse correctly,
was the third most recent release). That page lists the developer as
having a .de ee-mial address, and I'm fairly certain Klaus Knopper,
the man behind Knoppix is German, which might explain the shortage of
information on this particular screen reader on the English Internet.
also, if the 'git' in the version string is any indicator, presumably
a git repository existed at some point.

The .deb package from Knoppix for SBL installs fine on 32-bit x86
Debian, though I have no idea how to get it to run or how to stop
espeakup so they don't get in each other's way. From my testing,
adding the knoppix repository to either x86 Debian or Raspbian allows
installation of most Adriane packages, as best I can tell, Adriane is
mostly a bash generated menu system that serves as a front end to
several text-mode applications(for example, the web browser option
from the main Adriane menu launches elinks, the multimedia option is a
frontend to something in the mplayer family, and OCR uses tesseract.
The problems come in with parts of adriane that use knoppix-specific
binaries(for example Adriane-screenreader can only be installed on
32-bit x86 Debian because SBL only has 32-bit .debs available), and
with Adriane-x, as it depends on the knoppix-start-orca script, but it
doesn't have a package in the Knoppix repositories. From what little
testing I've done, most of the Adriane menues work fine withe
espeakup/piespeakup.

Also, figured out that, on my system, it's caps lock + t to get Orca
to speak the time, though I'm still surprised to learn that such is a
common feature in screen readers. That said, is it normal for Orca to
give the time in UTC instead of local time?

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.