Options (was: Sonar )

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 16:52:14 UTC 2017

I think you should consider using either ubuntu sts or debian testing. A
couple of years ago, I switched my entire userbase, like 200 end-users,
over to ubuntu sts. That's updated every 6 months.
I use it on my desktop and have never had any significant problems. We
have about 80 machines in offices (some of them are shared by several
students), about 30 lab machines, and 7 small super computers, all
running ubuntu desktop sts. ?We have had no problems what so ever with
the office or the super computers. But we have had some problems with
kernel instability in the labs. Those machines are part of a
beowulf/condor cluster and are shared by a few dozen grad students. So
some user might be remotely running a fluid dynamics modelling program
while someone else at the console is updating their youtube channel. So
I doubt the problem has anything to do with ubuntu.

I am currently working on trying debian testing on those lab machines. I
used to run debian testing on my own desktops all the time. I never had
any problems. I know plenty of other people who do the same. I've heard
of the occasional problem but I think mostly, debian testing is way more
stable than the name would imply. I've done probably 50 automated
installs over the past few weeks and I have been very impressed with
debian testing/stretch.

-- John Heim