OT: ACB & NFB

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 17:36:50 UTC 2017

> I've also turned that bridge line on my dad when he complains about me
> going barefoot in public and mentions that no one else is barefoot.

Your dad and mine sound a lot alike. I've gotten similar for the same
reason, as well as rocking, clicking, pacing in circles because it
helps me think, wearing my hair "too short" because I love the way it
feels and sticking my face out the window on long car rides. (Ever
notice that even at slow speeds you can hear the Doppler effect as you
pass crickets, or that they seem to spread out mostly evenly?)

I have no desire to pass as sighted. I crave interesting stimuli and
pretending to be sighted means I get less of it. One time I was asked
why I wasn't wearing shoes. The answer was obvious: The carpet was
luxuriously soft and I was shocked that I had to point this out. I
also use the feel of the ground to help me navigate and I guess you do
this too. Why miss out on all the rich sensory experiences to be had?
Playing pretend sightling impoverishes our experience of the world.

Some other questions and snarky responses you might consider:
What's in it for me / how does it benefit me?
Prove it / I don't see anyone wearing shoes.
Why are you describing the dressing habits of total strangers?
What will they do to me if they catch me not wearing shoes?
Why are you so determined to prevent me from feeling the ground?

People like that inevitably start their answers with it looks...
So I follow up with: Let's talk about something real. Real things
smell, sound, taste and/or feel. When you can show it to me we'll
talk. As far as I'm concerned (and my perception is all that matters)
nothing looks.

They're left speechless.

Amanda