Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 22:07:27 UTC 2017

Tony,
If you found bash scripts, rather than sbl, you probably found the
Adrienne[spelling] menu system. SBL is the screen reader that should be
running as a daemon before the menu system starts, although I can't say
I'm well versed on the subject, as I found the Adrienne menu system to
be too oversimplified for my needs. I'm also not a huge fan of the mix
of Debian packages in Knoppix, taken from I believe stable and testing.
Because it didn't meet my needs and didn't offer either a GNOME or MATE
desktop out of the box, I didn't run it long enough to know what
problems such a mix may cause.

In any case, I do recall SBL, formerly called SUSE Blinux, and possibly
SUSE Blind Linux before that, being at least in early OpenSUSE. If it's
not using any kernel modules or patches, it may be usable in other
operating systems if the source RPM can be found. I wouldn't hold out
much hope if it's only available as a binary RPM and the .deb in Knoppix
though. Still, the fact remains that as far as I know, SBL is indeed
rather old, and may not be maintained, so in order for someone to pick
up maintenance, proper source code would need to exist somewhere.
~Kyle