Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 22:43:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:07:27
>-0400, Linux for blind general >
> In any case, I do recall SBL, formerly called SUSE Blinux, and
> possibly SUSE Blind Linux before that, being at least in early
> OpenSUSE. If it's not using any kernel modules or patches, it may be
> usable in other operating systems if the source RPM can be found.

I am a sbl user since one of the first releases and I still like this screenreader very much. Many features are also in brltty, but sbl has some nice features that brltty does still not have:

- automatic profile switching
- free configurable keyboard layout and other settings for every profile

sbl is not using a kernel module, it is running as a deamon process.

> wouldn't hold out much hope if it's only available as a binary RPM
> and the .deb in Knoppix though.

You can get the sbl sources from

http://openblinux.de.

And yes, you are right, that sbl is not maintained very much during the last years. This does not mean, that it is old and useless, I still can use sbl on actual linux distros. But sbl does not support that many braille devices then brltty does, which is the biggest disadvantage of sbl IMHO currently, all other features are still good and some should be ported to brltty :-).

Kind regards from Munich,

  Christian

--
Christian Schoepplein - chris at schoeppi.net - http://www.schoeppi.net