Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 06:34:21 UTC 2017

For me, in school, I started out with Windows XP, lol. Shows how young I
	am, only 22, 23 on May 7. But the future is for the young,
	mostly, although nowadays the old get older, lol. I’ve never
	represented a group of users or people... Well I did yesterday
	when I said that, because the IRS uses Jaws 16, we, the AT
	department of Lions World, cannot upgrade to Jaws 18 to fix a
	rather glaring bug in Jaws’s Braille handling where it cannot
	display the minus (−) sign in braille.

One big problem we’ll have with converting teens and young adults, is
that Orca/Speech Dispatcher/Espeak cannot read Emoji, such as ⌣ or 😺 or
😸 or even 😍. This will be a problem, one which needs fixing, as young
people use Emoji extensively. Sad to say, Emacspeak, which most regard
as old or arcane, at least in IRC, can handle any Unicode character you
through at it, with its usage of Emacs’s Unicode support and knowledge
of all Unicode symbols. Failure of "new and improved ways of accessing
speech synthesizers," to read Unicode symbols will turn young people
away, mark my words. That’s why I love using Emacs, because I know that
I have access to each and every symbol in the buffer I’m using, and can
even insert Unicode symbols. If only Emacs worked better with modern web
pages, I’d never leave the thing because it does such a good job at
being an audio interface to things, with "aural highlighting," audio
icons, and so forth. But another thing is, we don’t have to argue about
my using emacs over "traditional" applications, because it’s all Linux,
right? Nah, who am I kidding. If you don’t use Orca or speakup, you
ain’t no Linux user. You’re an Emacs user, and that is blasphemous to
any "true" Linux user, right? Right?

So, basically, Speech dispatcher /needs/ the ability to read /any/
Unicode character out there, including Emoji. We should not put this on
Espeak, because if some one uses festival, for example, we’d have to put
in the same code for it, too. And the same for Voxin, and fLite, and
Pico, and any new TTS that comes out there. Speech Dispatcher should be
able to take better control over its synthesizers under it!
--
Sent from Discordia using Gnus for Emacs.
Email: r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Long days and pleasant nights!