Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 12:56:16 UTC 2017

I would argue that the pronunciation of symbols should most certainly be
handled by the synthesizer rather than any intermediate layer. Letting
the intermediate layers handle symbol pronunciation will only cause lots
of problems similar to the "tiflda" problem we have in Speakup to this
day. Most synthesizers have no trouble pronouncing the ~ (tilde)
character, but they all get it horribly wrong using Speakup, because the
pronunciation is hard coded in Speakup itself, and is quite wrong for
most speech synthesizers.
~Kyle