Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 20:31:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 02:27:12AM AEST, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> At this point, speech-dispatcher is not designed to be a text processor, as
> correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe it assumes that supported
> synthesizers already have built in text processing capabilities.

Thanks to work done by the folks at Hypra, there are plans to add better
punctuation processing to Speech Dispatcher. Admittedly this is because Hypra
want to support a synthesizer that doesn't do any such processing, but I
think this is worth  pursuing, because it does mean we can add support for
user exceptions, and also extend the code to provide consistant pronunciation
of individual characters. This extra support uses the punctuation symbol
files from NVDA, which so far as I know, does something similar.

Luke