Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 11:30:14 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

I would say you're not worrying enough. The sighted expect to be understood.
They expect the blind to be able to read what they're saying. I know I've
missed things because they aren't read. I can usually figure out from the
person and context what they mean, but not always. If you get a bunch of
blind kids hanging out together, they understand and don't care, but if they
try chatting to their sighted friends, they run into problems. Not to single
out any group, but teen girls in particular seem to be more emotional and
use less text, especially if they're into art.

I've studied them extensively for an unrelated project. It's how they
communicate now, even with adults, although not as much. A lot of them hang
out on tumblr; talk about an accessibility nightmare! Nothing is more
annoying than hearing "variation selector x16" and having no idea what
that's supposed to mean. Facebook is better about this, but not great. At
least I hear things like "heavy red heart," but with no explanation of what
emotion it's supposed to convey. Then again, I'm still on XP which doesn't
do Unicode. I really need to get an X installation working again.