Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 18:14:15 UTC 2017

I've been blind since birth, so for me, I can work with half-working
	accessibility, but I sure don’t like it. Freedom is good, but
	the houses we’ve built ourselves still have leaks. So, more than
	anything, we need developers who won’t put important things,
	like accessibility, or if they are in accessibility, Braille, at
	the bottom of a large to do list. We need some one who will try
	to bridge the gap for us, make Unicode speak with eSpeak or some
	other synthesizer or put it into speech dispatcher, we need some
	one who will work on Braille support in Orca, we need some one
	who will make accessibility cleaner and less, jagged to new
	users as I was. If that takes money, then sure. If that takes
	moving to a mainstream distro, sure. I’m just laying out what
	young folks expect, I’m not judging, or rather, I’m trying not
	to judge, the current maintainers of eSpeak, Speech Dispatcher,
	and Orca. I’m sure they have their own things to work on, but if
	we want the young blind to use Linux, we’ll have to get to work
	at a faster pace than we’ve been going for the last, I suspect,
	20 years.
--
Sent from Discordia using Gnus for Emacs.
Email: r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Long days and pleasant nights!