THE BLIND

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 29 03:06:21 UTC 2017

I first heard the complaint about "the blind" from a staff member at The
Seeing Eye in 1979, when I got my first dog.  She'd been reading a
letter I'd written to the Federal Aviation Administration or some such,
which letter was inspired by my first NFB convention that year.  I think
my reaction was that I sort of understood her concern but didn't think
it worth worrying about.

I've thought about this from time to time, mostly when there's an
argument about what language to use when referring to blind folks or
folks in some other group.  I think my view now is what it was that
summer in 1979, but maybe with a better understanding of the concern.

It occurred to me as I read Kyle's message that "the blind" is part of
"National Federation of the Blind," and that was the organization that
catalyzed my crude sort-of-equality philosophy of my teens into a
philosophy of equality that I have thought about regularly and refined
in many ways since those early days.  I don't use the phrase a lot these
days, but I would not call on any blindness organization to alter its
name to kick it out.  Although the phrase can sound dehumanizing, so
that the argument against using it is understandable, I associate it
with my efforts and those of thousands of other blind people, in or out
of the NFB, to promote a far better grasp of our full humanity.

I guess I was wrong on Wednesday when I said that non-geek stuff message
would be my last on the topic here.  Strike one.

sent from the city with both Celtics and Red Sox victories tonight

Al