Fwd: accessible web-authoring system

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 29 11:20:51 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here. I'm sure others will chime in, but here are my thoughts:

1. The most accessible is plain, static HTML. Obviously not practical for
large sites, but for a few pages, it's good enough.

2. WordPress is the most popular. It's generally very accessible. There are
things which could be made better, but it's good enough to design decent
sites. I ran a podcast with it.

3. Drupal is also very good, but the latest major release (8.0.X) is very
difficult to use and far from accessible unless I missed something obvious.
I had it running on a server and it was so bad that I gave up. 7.X should be
better, but will reach end of life in a year or two and only gets bug and
security fixes.

Joomla is very inaccessible and should absolutely be avoided. I couldn't do
anything with it, but that was a long time ago. The key is if the admin
interface is accessible or not. I would go with WordPress due to the huge
number of themes, frequent updates and overall decent accessibility.

Another option is wiki software. There are a lot of wiki packages out there.
I liked ikiwiki when I looked at it. It obviously depends on the site you're
designing. Of the above, I think only ikiwiki is fully accessible with a
text browser, but WordPress is tolerable. You can do most functions with
wp-cli if you like the command line. Drupal has drush, but I couldn't get it
to work. WordPress is much easier to upgrade and can do minor updates itself.