Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 30 11:13:53 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Producing an audiobook is
easy. Even if a company had to be hired, it wouldn't cost too much. Oh, it
wouldn't be cheap, but I don't think it would be outrageously expensive
either. Amazon owns Audible and ACX who produces them. You could hire an NLS
narrator to work freelance. The problem is getting the printed book written.
Even if it's only sold as audio, the reader needs a printed source to work
from. Of course you could produce a Braille master and hire a blind narrator.

In the past, NLS hasn't touched Linux and their computer books are very out
of date, so I wouldn't count on them. You could try Learning Ally, but I'm
sure they wouldn't be free and would probably want to be the sole
distributor. Didn't the NFB have a talking book studio at one time? If you
could convince the ACB that it would be in their best interest to fund it
and would help a potentially large amount of the blind population, they
might at least promote it.