THE BLIND

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 30 16:18:37 UTC 2017

I remember that Icon thing. I actually wanted one at the time I saw it,
but first off, I never had the budget for it and felt that the price was
a bit steep, and worse still, I was already using Espeak at that time,
and was highly disappointed to learn that at least then, I wasn't able
to change the voice it used. The voice it came with hurt my ears,
especially on those little cheap speakers on the smaller unit, and when
I told the company representative this, and asked if I could use a
different voice, I got a rather evil sounding laugh indicating how dare
I even speak such blasphemy. So I decided at that time that I wouldn't
even try to find all that money, and I'm glad I did, as I now have a
full Linux desktop made from off-the-shelf hardware, talking, capable of
running from an external battery, equipped with a wireless keyboard and
all for less than $200.
~Kyle