I need to get speakup to wirk. Suggestions?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Aug 1 10:07:35 UTC 2017

Hi,
What computer do you use? Searching for the error on the Internet brings plenty of search results about problems with loading kernel modules in recent kernels on computers with UEFI with Secure Boot enabled.
On one hand, that's strange, because speakup is included in the kernel and I pritty much doubt that you were able to compile and install any external code, and the build-in one should be signed already.
Still, if you have UEFI instead of BIOS and  Secure Boot enabled - you can try to disable it and see what happens.
The bad news is that you'll need a sighted help for this.
Look at this link:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/762254/why-do-i-get-required-key-not-available-when-install-3rd-party-kernel-modules

If you have problems entering UEFI and disabling Secure Boot - search for instructions for your PC/laptop/motherboard model.
At the above page, it's stated that you can enter UEFI from GRUB as well, but I haven't tried it so I can't confirm.

If somehow you have managed to change your build-in speakup, you may try reinstalling the kernel, and speakup along with that:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)

--
Best wishes,
Zahari

Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 04:20:45PM -0500