getting started with debian, suggestions anyone?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 21:23:50 UTC 2017

Go into a terminal and type:
modprobe speakup.soft
Then type:
espeakup
and see if you get speech.
You could scrap the install and start over, but were I you and did that
I'd get into debian main menu by typing (<) at a prompt that's the less
than sign sift the comma and I would change priority to low by keying
change priority's number then keying in the number on submenu for low.
Then I would key in the number to preserve log files and choose mounted
partition for that and then hit enter on default choice.  Then I'd
continue with the installation.  The log files are of interest to the
debian-boot email list and a problem you experienced may get discovered
by them and corrected for your hardware that way.