Sound works as user but not as root

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 09:33:30 UTC 2017

Have you ever run rexima or amixer or alsamixer?  Also, have you ever
run pacmd?  The list commands inside pacmd provide lots of information
and lots of complexity as compared to rexima or amixer.  I suppose
rexima or amixer list comparison for devices sinks and the like appear
lots less complex.  What would to my mind make pacmd lots safer to use
would be a test control a user could use to get a 5 second test of a
modification they had made.  If the user did like the modification they
could run a save command for that modification but if the modification
turned out to mess something up it would only last for 5 seconds in the
test run.  Unfortunately with alsa the speakertest program is a separate
program and I've not yet attempted a modification inside rexima or
amixer and then tried background those programs and running speakertest
yet.  I don't know if I'd get useable results from doing so or if it
wouldn't work with the installed hardware.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:34:30
> From: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>
> To: blinux-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Sound works as user but not as root
>
> Howdy,
> what do you mean by terminology? i try to help here i read the
> documentation.
> what is the need?
>
> cheers chrys
>
> Am 29.08.2017 um 01:28 schrieb Linux for blind general discussion:
>> Has anyone figured out the pulseaudio controls terminology yet?  I
>> started running some of the pulseaudio control programs and couldn't
>> figure out what to do with what and what to leave alone.
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:22:38
>>> From: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>
>>> To: blinux-list at redhat.com
>>> Subject: Re: Sound works as user but not as root
>>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I cannot see any constructive here.
>>> its not that far away i had similar problems with ALSA or ESD.
>>> so "i hate that" is not usefull lol
>>> problems like this are solvable. anything else is just stupid rant...
>>>
>>> there are 2 possible solutions:
>>> 1. stream the "root" sound to the user. (see fenrirs
>>> "configure_pulse.sh" script)