Installing RHEL 7

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 10:43:26 UTC 2017

Hi Janina,

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 02:39:10PM -0500, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>However, people on the Orca list have reported success installing Fedora
>using Orca from the Live image.

Thanks for this feedback. I had no success when I was trying to install
Fedora without a sighted person a few months ago but maybe I'll give it
another try.

>There's also the possibility of installing Fedora using a kickstart file
>which would actually teach you a lot about the RHEL/Fedora installation
>process.

Yes, I know kickstart and I also thought to build my own kickstart
installation file to get a working system up and running, but the
scope in my future work will be Puppet and Foreman on already installed
systems and so I do not want spend to much time on how RHEL can be
installed. I just wanted to setup a environment based on RHEL, or
another system similar to Redhat, quickly to start playing around with
the mensioned tools.

>Also, please note that the free of cost RHEL clone is called CentOS:
>
>https://danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/

Thanks, that was a good reminder :-).

Lastly I was able to install the latest Centos 7 into a lxc container
which is possible without any problem without sighted help. My host
system is Debian Stretch. I think the aproach with lxc is good enough
for my needs, as said, I just want to learn to setup and configure
Puppet and take a look at Foreman and this can be done with some lxc
containers running Centos IMHO.

>The bottom line here is that you should be OK administering RHEL, just
>not installing it via it's installation system except for possibly
>installing via kickstart.

Yes, full ACK. When access via ssh is possible working with RHEL and
administrating RHEL based systems should be possible without a problem.

All the best from Munich and thanks for your input :-),

  Schoepp

--
Christian Schoepplein - <chris (at) schoeppi.net> - http://schoeppi.net