Welcome to Linux by Microsoft

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 15:32:32 UTC 2017

Hello, Blinux Folks:

No doubt many of you are aware that the developer tools available on
Microsoft's Windows 10, beginning with last year's so-called Anniversary
Edition of Windows 10, include a reasonably sophisticated bash shell
environment based on Ubuntu. Microsoft developed this environment in a
contractual agreement with Canonical.

So, with the appropriate Windows 10 install, one can now run various
console apps under the Windows Terminal, including package management
with apt, using NVDA or JAWS.

I have it on good authority that JAWS will be tweaking it's support for
the Windows terminal to better support this new power.

Well, that's not the end of the story, as it transpires. Coming soon,
according to the following announcement, is the ability to download and
install other Linux distributions on your Windows 10 machine including
Suse and Fedora. Aparently, one can even run multiple Linux
distributions side by side, should that be desirable for any reason.
Here's the Microsoft announcement:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/11/new-distros-coming-t

So, I'm wondering where will our community gather to share support for
this environment? Afaik, this list is still the best choice. I'm aware
of no other. But, I know there's a need.

An example is the need for an effective clipboard mechanism. Apparently,
that's not currently present.  Guess I'll file a bug when I get my Apple
Bootcamp Windows environment up and running later this week.

hth

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200