Welcome to Linux by Microsoft

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Dec 15 19:56:20 UTC 2017

On December 15, 2017, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Then tell me, how was this person able to build their speech
> synthesiser on a Linode VPS?
> http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?pid=338519#p338519

Tim here.  Based on my reading of that, they're just using the Linux
machine to build the requisite voice files, not actually playing them
on the machine.

However, it's also possible to configure a remote machine to play
audio locally (a virtual sound-card that pipes the audio over the
network), though it doesn't sound like what Philip is doing there.
The latency might be tolerable over a LAN but over the internet, it
would really stink.

Finally, many folks use a local screen-reader and then access their
remote server via SSH.

-tim