Welcome to Linux by Microsoft

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Dec 15 21:37:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

You speak of getting Linux like go into a store and buy a computer that
has Linux on it. As we all probably know, you have to download the ISO
image and burn it as a bootable disk or DVD. Not only that, but you will
have to use the bios, and as someone who does not have anyone sighted to
help me, I find that nearly impossible.

I heard that Ubuntu and debian can use Wine to run Windows applications,
though I don't know how that would be different from actually using the
Linux environment to run Windows.

How can someone hack Linux on Windows, but not Windows on Linux? Can you
not destroy the Linux on a Windows machine using system restore? Would
someone need to get your IP address in order for people to hack if you
visit some malicious web site?

I want to make my own voice using the Festival and Festvox speech engine
and then maybe publish a tutorial on how to complete all of the steps so
people can have a try at making their own voices. The only part that
will be the most exhausting is that you will have to record
approximately 100 hours plus for 1,132 utterances from various passages
of the Arctic database. Luckily, you can print or Braille this out in
Text, so you can read it aloud, or listen to the pre-recorded prompts
and record over themm.

The only thing I've seen for speech development was Speech SDK, but I
tink they use that to take a Flite voice and make it available for
SAPI-5 use.

-Ulysses