frustrate shouldservers

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Feb 5 01:45:14 UTC 2017

On February  4, 2017, Eric Oyen wrote:
> btw, I use a fairly simple password scheme thats easy for me to
> remember and nearly impossible for anyone to guess it. it's how I
> managed to keep over 200 passwords in my head.

I used to use the site's name inserted into my password
prefix/suffix, so if my prefix was "maul4wafted" and my suffix was
"^mage18", my Amazon password would have been
"maul4waftedAmazon^mage18".  Which is a pretty good password if the
site is responsible with using strong salted hashes to store them.
However, I've seen enough breaches where best practices were *not*
followed, so if a password such as that were leaked, it wouldn't be
hard to deduce that my Twitter password might be
"maul4waftedTwitter^mage18"

The other problem with that is certain sites got bought-out and
changed names, so then I'd have to remember that, even though I'm
logging into First United bank currently, I have remember that it used
to be Farmers & Merchants bank and that's what I used to create the
password.

So after seeing a couple such breaches and fighting to remember
name-changes, I stopped using that method and switched to outsourcing
my passwords to a manager where I only needed to remember one master
password.

> still, the older I get, the harder this will get. so, an additional
> outboard tool or two won't hurt me in the least.

And with my 40th coming up all too soon, I'm more than willing to let
the computer do most of the remembering for me. (grins)

-tim