I need to get speakup to wirk. Suggestions?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 20:29:35 UTC 2017

I'm trying to use speakup with espeakup.
Espeakup says: "Unable to open the soft synth device: no such file or
directory".
I thought I'd installed speakup, but typing it gives "command not found".
I just downloaded a speakup tarball (that took some digging). Running
the makefile produces two errors that I don't understand.

What is speachd-up? Do I need it in addition to speakup and espeakup?