I need to get speakup to wirk. Suggestions?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 22:53:51 UTC 2017

Howdy,

seems that speakup is not installed on your system. in case of success
it should not give any output to you.
speakup lives in the "staging" area of the kernel. that means it is
considered to be unstable/ experimental. the result of this is that not
every linux distribution ships the speakup module by default.
Maybe ubuntu is one of that distributions. i just found an old blog
entry of storm that let me think that speakup is not shipped with the
ubuntu kernel (information without warranty, since i cannot look at.)
https://stormdragon.tk/installing-speakup-in-ubuntu/
sadly i m not using ubuntu so i cannot give any assistance in "how to
install it without need to compile your own kernel" then. maybe some
ubuntu user is here that can help you more experienced. maybe there is a
PPA or something that provides speakup.

maybe you wanna try vinux (based on ubuntu) or sonar (based on manjaro/
antergos/ arch). those distros are made for blind and visual impaired
people and have that stuff preinstalled for sure.

cheers chrys