living in the console

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jun 3 18:13:29 UTC 2017

While I can agree that freedos might be a poor choice, I do not share your
thought that Dos and Linux console are the same environment.
Speaking only for myself, at least as I have managed to experience things
in such a limited way, often it takes three Linux programs to do the work
of one DOS one.
I  joked  on the Debian development list that  to clap my hands In Linux
would  need one program for the right, one for the left, and one to bring
the hands together.
and do not get me started on Linux command  sequences, laughs.
  In fact, personally that is why objective third party learning materials
books for example, would be helpful for new users in general.
dos commands tend to do the same things, with universal files like
autoexec.bat and config.sys doing the heavy lifting where loading and
unloading   drivers and the like are concerned.
In Linux, you must know already, or learn with risks to your system how to
do things.
When I started using DOS, I trained for two days in person with someone
and have built on that training for decades.  Something comparative just
does  not exist for Linux in my view.
And I would gladly pay for it, if it did.
Happy linuxhousewarming though,
Kare