working with nano

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 16:51:45 UTC 2017

You guys make me feel like a wet behind the ears baby(which feels kind
of weird since people on the Internet usually make me feel like a
fossil). Anyways, in 1990, all I knew about computers was how to suck
at Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on my older sister's NES,
it was 1996 before I learned how to touch type on old Win 3.1 and DOS
machines at school, and my family's first proper PC was a Win98
Machine. I made the switch from WinXP to Ubuntu around Ubuntu 5.10 or
6.06 and then to Debian somewhere around 2010, but prior to my vision
failing in mid-to-late 2012, I did most of my document editing in
graphical editors only occasionally using nano to edit my sources.list
or another config file that requires root privileges. As vision loss
forced me to make heavier use of my terminal knowledge, nano became my
primary editor out of familiarity, though I'll admit it took me a
while to get use to it having different cut, copy, paste behavior from
pretty much every graphical application with a text box I've ever
used. I don't think I've ever tried emacs, but what I've tried of vi
has brought me to the conclusion that, even if it's ultimately a
superior editor, I don't have the time to learn vi well enough to use
it on par with how I already use nano.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.