working with nano

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 18:37:44 UTC 2017

I know there's a way to have nano perpetually display current line,
column, and character counts, though I have no idea what you'd add to
nanorc to make it the default behavior or what keyboard shortcut
toggles it(ctrl+c makes nano display this information until you type
or delete another character, which I've always found sufficient).

speakup reading the perpetual position display, if active, instead of
echoing keystrokes sounds consistent with my attempts at using that
screen reader, which coupled with it's tendency to read the line nano
just scrolled onto the screen instead of the line the cursor was just
moved to is among the reasons I don't care for speakup.