Roku accessibility (was Re: Youtube TV Site?)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 00:05:20 UTC 2017

Well, I should note that text based browsers are usually no longer
considered when trying to develop accessible websites, so your mileage
will vary greatly when using a text-based browser, even when a site can
be accessed with no trouble using Firefox, Seamonkey or Chromium. For
example, whereas you had problems accessing the links I posted earlier,
I had no trouble at all accessing them in Firefox. I would copy and
paste the information from the channel contact list I posted, but this
relies on having a link to the contact or support page for each channel
listed, and once you get there, even if I was to be able to copy and
paste each link, the contact or support page will likely be unfriendly
to text only browsers, as they don't adhere to current HTML standards.
Sorry for the trouble, it's just the way even the w3c handles things now
as far as I can tell.

After doing a rather thorough search for Roku accessibility groups or
blind Roku users, I find only a single post on a blind tech list that
refers to what would appear to be an early model Streaming Stick
available at Walmart last year. So I'll likely start an e-mail list or
similar. Thoughts are welcome, i.e. should this be specific to Roku
devices for the most part, or should it cover all accessible TV devices
including the latest cable box offerings? In answering this question, it
is important to note that the Chromecast and Android TV devices are on
topic on the eyes-free Android list, and the Apple TV is on topic on
AppleVis. About the only thing I can think of at this point that isn't
covered elsewhere is the Amazon Fire TV line, including the Fire TV
Stick, the Fire TV box and the up and coming Fire TV with Alexa, the one
that's a complete TV that is said to be released in the coming months,
not the device that connects to an existing TV. Of course there are also
the LG and Samsung TV's that have accessibility built into their high
end models, and they are also not covered anywhere as far as I know,
although they have varying levels of accessibility and different methods
of accessing screen reader/audible guide features. In any case, if a
general accessible TV list is most desirable, then a general accessible
TV list it will be, although that will quickly go all over the map, so
may be harder to manage, since too many devices with too much variation
in features and methods of access could become problematic.

The next question would be the format. Is it to be an e-mail list, a
forum, a group on a social media platform, ...? What type of moderation,
if any, do we want? Should it be a strictly on topic list or group, or
should it be very loose and relaxed? Just some starter thoughts. Feel
free to answer any questions or ask questions of your own.
~Kyle