Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:10:38 UTC 2017

I think we should work to make popular distributions accessible, and I
think that's still the goal of the Vinux team, but I still think it
makes sense to have custom distributions for the blind. It'll take time
and resources to get changes pushed up stream and blind new comers to
Linux, or even experienced Linux new comers who don't want to do all of
the heavy lifting themselves, should have an option. There are tons of
distributions for Linux for all sorts of niches, so I don't see an issue
with someone working on a distribution which will have the blind user in
mind.

I also think it's way too premature to compare Vinux to Freedom
Scientific. First, I don't think this will ever be an issue in Linux or
with the Vinux distribution, but even if it were, it's so far out in the
future, I don't think we need to spend a lot of energy worrying about it
now.

You always have the issue with Linux and open source projects that
people can fork something whenever they want too and go off in their own
direction. This freedom is great, but it then fragments the resource
pool, especially when that pool is as small as it is in the area of
accessibility. I see this effort as positive, because at least
temporarily, it's a pooling of resources that will allow for some
significant advances in Linux accessibility. Someone on this team, or
someone else, could always go off in their own direction and scratch
their own itch whenever they want to.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail