asking for guidance on length of line in terminal

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sat Mar 18 02:25:48 UTC 2017

Greetings!

A couple of sighted friends (one at my request) told me that my text
terminal has part of the line cut off.  One said it was at the beginning.

Using "stty -a", I learned that my text console has sixty-five lines and
that the lines are one hundred and seventy-five columns.  I'm virtually
certain those are the settings from installing; I'm using Debian Jesse.
  When I ran "stty sane", the settings stayed the same.

In gnome-terminal, "stty -a" told me the terminal has a wimpy
twenty-four lines and eighty columns.  I note that I haven't yet asked
anybody to look at the screen in gnome-terminal.

I'd like to have a high number of lines, though I also haven't checked
if those looked like a problem in my text console.  I'd also like lines
longer than eighty characters, but want to know the longest line people
think I can have that shows up completely on the screen.  I've never had
a problem reading these long lines with Speakup, but from time to time I
may need somebody to look at my stuff on the screen.  Also, if I ever
share program code or anything else with sighted folks, I want it to
look right.  Any suggestions?

Also, if somehow I'm looking at the problem the wrong way, feel free to
let me know if you think there's something else I should do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Al