asking for guidance on length of line in terminal

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Mar 18 09:02:43 UTC 2017

Hello,

Al Sten-Clanton, on ven. 17 mars 2017 22:25:48 -0400, wrote:
> I'm virtually certain those are the settings from installing; I'm
> using Debian Jesse.  When I ran "stty sane", the settings stayed the
> same.

You can use e.g. "stty cols 80 rows 25" to change the number of lines &
cols. It will prevent you from exceeding what is possible with the
screen resolution.

> I'd like to have a high number of lines,

You can change the font to achieve this.

Now, in Debian, both can be configured in /etc/default/console-setup,
see "man 5 console-setup"

Samuel