installing bsd with speech

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Wed Mar 22 11:52:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mi, Mär 22, 2017 at 05:40:05 -0500, Kelly Prescott wrote:
>Here is what is happening.
>First, you are logged into your arch or debian or ubuntu or other system
>using either a console or ssh.
>Then you build your machine according lucely to the template instructions
>I provided.
>The console is curses, so it displays in your terminal without using
>graphics modes.
>Therefore speakup runs and you get speech from it.

Yes, the speakup on the hostsystem, in this case your ArchLinux box, is
used, and no speakup support in the guest and virtualized BSD system is
present. That means the BSD is accessible because the Linux host has
speech or / and braile support enabled.

I think the question was, if BSD does support speakup or braille itself,
so it can be installed natively and not only virtualized.

I'd be also interested in native speech or braille support in BSD, but
as far I can find out via Google there is no BSD distribution that has
brltty, speakup, or what ever  included which we know from Linux
systems.

Cheers,

  Schoepp

--