Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 1 16:08:17 UTC 2017

Hello,

This is Samuel.

Linux for blind general discussion, on dim. 23 avril 2017 22:38:30 -0400, wrote:
> further the experience of blindness is not required to program accessible
> installers etc.

I believe it is, and that it's the main reason for lacking accessibility
features in installers etc.: people have no clue what needs to be done.
I once wrote this page: http://brl.thefreecat.org/wiki/Installer to try
to document what I had done in Debian.

> The person Tony mentioned a while  working on access for Debian and with
> speakup does not experience sight loss at all.

I guess he was thinking about me.  I do not indeed.  But it's only
because I have had the opportunity to discuss at length for years with
a blind person about using a Unix system that I have a not-too-bad idea
of what should be done.  And I still fail now and then.  For instance,
I had never thought that the rescue mode of the Debian Installer could
welcome accessibility support (I never use it myself actually, that
could explain why, but still).  It's only by accident that during some
discussion somebody mentioned that it could be useful, and then I
implemented with just a couple of changes in the Installer.  But again
it's only because at some point the technical capability and the feature
request happened to meet.

Samuel