Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 1 16:46:22 UTC 2017

Hello, this is Samuel,

Kyle, on dim. 23 avril 2017 17:18:17 -0400, wrote:
> Debian even unstable takes parts of 2 or 3 different versions and
> tries to fit them together.

Well, that is not supposed to happen. I checked the MATE uploads, in the
past year uploads have been made coherently in unstable.

> These things don't necessarily fix themselves in Testing
> unfortunately, as the only requirement for a package to enter Testing
> from Unstable is a 1-week waiting period,

No.  Installability is also a requirement, delaying the migration
as much as needed.  It seems that in the MATE case, they didn't set
dependencies to make sure pieces get migrated together, but that's not
how it's supposed to happen, and that's to be considered a bug which
MATE maintainers are supposed to fix.

I'm not saying that things are happening rightly ATM, but saying that
things just always go that way in Debian is misleading, it's only MATE
maintainers which seemingly don't proceed as they are supposed to.

Samuel