yikes! no internet

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat May 6 21:11:09 UTC 2017

and here is the reason why I own my own cable modem. Sure, Cox isn't going to do a lot of stuff without giving me notice first, but I would rather have full control. I also dispensed with the original OS on that device and put in a DD-Wrt derivative that allows me far more control of the internal settings, including number of up and down channels on the cable side. Interestingly enough, this is how I caught cox trying to throttle my connection that is paid for at 100 mbit/sec service and I called them on it.

so, if you can, replace the OS on that device with something a bit more user controllable. just make damned sure you actually own the device. Otherwise, the broadband provider might decide to terminate your service and charge you for damaged property.

Now, all of that aside, if you can access the net now, change all your DNS entries to something a bit more suitable.
try entries like:
nameserver 4.4.4.4
nameserver  8.8.8.8

There are about a dozen or so good performance name servers I have in a list here. I use them all when on my vpn.

anyway, here's to hoping you can get your gateway issue resolved.

-eric