Hardware speech synthesizers

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun May 7 11:30:43 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

If your synths use a serial port, you no longer have to patch and recompile
the kernel for Speakup. I have compiled kernel packages for Debian and
derivatives. If you compile your own kernel, you can either wait for the
latest patches to Speakup to make it to staging or drop them in yourself.

I realize you asked about Emacspeak. I've used Emacspeak with my DECtalk
Express. I'm thinking it works with the Doubletalk but I'm not sure. I don't
think it works with the Doubletalk PC but someone can correct me. You didn't
say if it's a Doubletalk LT which uses a serial port (also known as the
Litetalk) or the Doubletalk PC which is an ISA card.

The DECtalk you found will probably work, but you might need a cable for it.
One end goes into what looks like a phone jack. The other end plugs into a
serial port. You might be able to buy one. The battery is probably busted by
now, so you should look for an adaptor.

For those who want my compiled kernels, go here:

http://iavit.org/~bats/kernels/

You want linux-image-4.10.7-2-speakup or similar. Install it with "sudo dpkg
-i". It works fine here, but as always, use at your own risk.

On 5/5/2017 2:42 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> You have to patch and recompile the linux kernel to make speakup work with a
> doubletalk. But there are pre-patched kernels on the web site of the
> international association of visually impaired technologists. I think you
> should take this to the list at linux at iavit.org for more information.
>
> On 05/05/2017 03:06 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> Hi all. We found a Double Talk in a closet in the Assistive Tech room,
>> and a Dectalk too but I doubt I could use that, as it only has what look
>> like 3.5 MM connector ports. We also found a Double Talk, with serial
>> and IO ports, and headphone connectors. I don’t know much about these
>> hardware synthesizers, but I’d love to use them with Emacspeak. so, any
>> ideas?

James 5:16 Confess therefore your sins one to another, and pray one for
another, that ye may be healed. The supplication of a righteous   man
availeth much in its working. (ASV)