an old artic transport

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 8 23:18:25 UTC 2017

Speechd-up is for software speech using speech-dispatcher.
Speech-dispatcher currently has no code for a hardware speech
synthesizer. Your best bet is to try to find the correct Speakup driver
for your Transport and modprobe it. I'm not familiar with the hardware
synthesizer modules in Speakup, as I only ever used ltlk I think it was
and dtk, also a guess, since it's been so long. I thought there was a
module called txp or txprt or something for the Transport, but I can't
remember if that's right, or if it had another name. To use it by
default, you would put its name on a single line in
/etc/modules-load.d/anynameatall.conf. I would suggest speakup.conf as
the filename can be anything with a .conf extension, but that helps
finding it later. This will load the correct module at boot time.
~Kyle