Wine?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu May 18 11:02:55 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here. Sorry, I think you're out of luck. I suggest running
Windows in a virtual machine. The only other thing you could try is starting
NVDA first, but I'm almost positive that screen readers aren't supported. If
anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

Periodically, there is discussion on this. People want to run Windows
programs and have the same problem as you. The general conclusion is
sound-based games usually work if they are self-voicing, but that's about
it. Realize it's only emulating Windows, it's not a full Windows OS. It
doesn't have the hooks to run screen readers etc. I played with it once and
got nowhere. The portable NVDA might work, but I don't think you can load
programs in memory. I think it just runs the .exe and exits.

If you have a modern CPU, you probably have hardware virtualization support.
Install KVM (qemu-kvm on Debian and Ubuntu) and set up Windows virtually. If
you already have a working install, it might work in the virtual machine.
Usually it's safer to do a fresh install. There is also VirtualBox. That's
an exercise for the reader and is itself another long discussion. In other
words, I don't know the specifics, but I know people have done it. I'm sorry
I don't have a better answer.