living in the consolex

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 29 15:09:58 UTC 2017

Hi Janina,
On ubuntu it is in a package called mime-support.
The description is as follows:
  As these files can be used by all MIME compliant programs, they have been
moved into their own package that others can depend
  upon.

  Other packages add themselves as viewers/editors/composers/etc by using
the provided "update-mime" program.

  In addition, the commands "see", "edit", "compose", and "print" will
display, alter, create, and print (respectively) any file
  using a program determined from the entries in the mime.types and mailcap
files.

  HTH, Willem