Introduction and question Linux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Nov 25 14:43:02 UTC 2017

By the way, blind don't have a double meaning in french like in
english, are you impaired (low vision), colorblind or blind (no
sight).

What accessibility softwares and hardwares do you use ?

For email you should be fine with command-line tools, for facebook
there's a limited command line tool, pidgin with purple facebook for
the chat only and m.facebook.com link in a web browser usually do
well, web browsing should be fine but like you know yet it vary from a
website to another and we barely can fix that mess, watching videos
could be improved by command-line seem akward but mpv or vlc and
youtube-dl allow to grab or embed video in your media player, for word
and excel I suppose that Libre office have some accessibility but they
won't be on par with Microsoft office, I propose to save in open
formats since others suites could read them without issues and it will
weaken Microsoft Office monopoly in the process and that could be a
good thing.

Command-line tools should be blazing fast even on old hardware but for
a graphical desktop expect that some are a bit heavy and some apps
being heavy while Orca using a lot the hardware, it could still have
issues.

Like said, for now it's not perfect but I know in real life a blind
programmer and online I came around the Sonar Linux developper so it
is at least usable to some point but both work to fix things up, I
will probably help also soon being a major Linux community manager but
it's hard to work everything alone while having a busy life and many
projects running ...

All my wishes, may the source be with you Linarian !!! ;)

--
Michaël Caron Couturier