archlinux gnome and orca package

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 19:32:34 UTC 2017

I have gnome and gnome-extra on the system and removed mate and mate-extra
by now.  I have managed to login with gnome and proved it by running
gnome-terminal then using the backspace key a few times until I heard
repeated beeps each time I hit the key.  I ran speaker-test inside
gnome-terminal and heard static on speakers too.
Unfortunately, orca for archlinux is packaged incorrectly since when
started even under these conditions orca does not talk at all but only
shows its setup screen.
Also, orca.desktop file did not come in the orca package and that may or
may not contribute to the problems.  running orca, orca --replace, and
alt-super-s in turn failed to bring orca up talking.