Digitizing audio cassettes and extracting the contents of digital cartridges.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Sep 12 00:22:51 UTC 2017

My apologies if it sounded like I was complaining. I'm actually
pleasantly surprised the players are Linux based as opposed to
something custom or even Windows based, and honestly, sticking to a
working model for a decade is actually kind of refreshing compared to
the mainstream electronics manufacturers who release some trivial
redesign every few months and try to push some resource hogging bit of
eyecandy or some alpha quality new feature that breaks or replaces
existing functionality that actually works on older models as a reason
to spend hundreds of dollars on a device with only marginally better
specs.

If I have a complaint unique to the NLS player(limited file format
support and DRM are endemic problems with digital media players and
digital media distribution respectively and a wide range of devices
don't let the user swap in a spare battery), it's the fact the players
are bulky compared to just about anything battery powered made this
century. Granted, I imagine their are plenty of NLS patrons that
appreciate the overly large buttons and the large, room filling
speaker, but a cartridge player that could fit in my pocket or in my
fanny pack with all my other gadgets would still be nice.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.