Digitizing audio cassettes and extracting the contents of digital cartridges.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Sep 13 17:09:52 UTC 2017

I'm not sure this is a safe assumption. Sure, when you're on a list like
this, it seems that everyone has a mobile device, but how many Talking
Book subscribers fall into this category? Talking Books are for everyone
and not just tech savvy people. I think the NLS places a premium on ease
of use and durability, and I'm not sure the current product doesn't
deliver on this admirably. As others have mentioned, just as with the
cassette players, you can get more mobile options from other vendors.

On 09/13/2017 07:45 AM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Assuming those for whom big buttons etc. is an advantage are a minority
> perhaps there is a good compromise.
>
> If there were to be a pad containing al the large controls and a speaker
> which can attach to a pocket size device using headphones which is the
> actual book reader; all needs could be met?
>

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>
>> I'm one of those who like the big buttons and the decent speaker of the
>> NLS digital player, but you make a good point about the value of a
>> device you can put in your pocket.
>>
>> Al
>>
>> On 09/11/2017 08:22 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>>> My apologies if it sounded like I was complaining. I'm actually
>>> pleasantly surprised the players are Linux based as opposed to
>>> something custom or even Windows based, and honestly, sticking to a
>>> working model for a decade is actually kind of refreshing compared to
>>> the mainstream electronics manufacturers who release some trivial
>>> redesign every few months and try to push some resource hogging bit of
>>> eyecandy or some alpha quality new feature that breaks or replaces
>>> existing functionality that actually works on older models as a reason
>>> to spend hundreds of dollars on a device with only marginally better
>>> specs.
>>>
>>> If I have a complaint unique to the NLS player(limited file format
>>> support and DRM are endemic problems with digital media players and
>>> digital media distribution respectively and a wide range of devices
>>> don't let the user swap in a spare battery), it's the fact the players
>>> are bulky compared to just about anything battery powered made this
>>> century. Granted, I imagine their are plenty of NLS patrons that
>>> appreciate the overly large buttons and the large, room filling
>>> speaker, but a cartridge player that could fit in my pocket or in my
>>> fanny pack with all my other gadgets would still be nice.

> XB

Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail