shell editor

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 04:10:43 UTC 2017

The truncate command will likely have an undesired side-effect: if the
file is smaller than the target size, it will be generally be padded with
binary zeroes to force it to be the specified size.

If pure truncation is desired, might I suggest the dd command instead:
  dd if=input-file of=output-file bs=maxlength count=1
If the input-file is shorter than maxlength, output-file will be the
same as input-file (not padded to maxlength).
(warning: maxlength has a limit, but that limit is usually at least 100 Meg.)