Possibly Off-Topic: Elia, a tactile alphabet proclaiming to be an intuitive alternative to Braille.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 22 23:01:11 UTC 2018

Based on the article the changes to the Roman alphabet seem minor; it
said 70%of the alphabet didn't change. I assume the changes are to make
the letters more tactically distinct so they could be recognized more
quickly and allow a smaller font to be used then you could get away with
by just using raised letters of the current alphabet.

On 04/22/2018 01:35 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> It did look a little interesting, but I share much of the same
> skepticism. I have no problem at all with Kickstarter, and I don't
> even have a problem with the method of getting the letters to raise up
> on the sheet of paper. However, I do have a bit of a problem with some
> company saying they found something that works better than braille,
> when what they really have done is try to change the English alphabet.
> I mean really, if you're gonna modify an inkjet printer to print
> raised letters, then you don't have to modify the alphabet in any way
> except to make the letters larger so they are easy to feel. If the
> target truly is those people who have become blind or visually
> impaired later in life, then what is the point of making them learn
> new letters, when using the same technique, they could simply read the
> letters they have used all their lives? Just my thoughts.
>
> Imetumwa kutoka sakafu

Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail