Possibly Off-Topic: Elia, a tactile alphabet proclaiming to be an intuitive alternative to Braille.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 00:26:54 UTC 2018

I don't see where they say they made the font larger. I do see them
stating that the font is scalable though. I would assume it would be a
bit larger then the printed text you see in a newspaper though, if
that's what you're talking about. I've read raised print before as well,
and it can be pretty tedious trying to distinguish a 'o' from a 'c' from
a 'e' from a 'a' and so on especially depending on the font being used.
It seems obvious to me that some slight changes could be made to a
tactile alphabet to make it faster to read with a smaller font, but it's
hard to know for sure without actually seeing it myself. I tend to
believe their research and studies over my own anecdotal experience though.

On 04/22/2018 06:28 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> So they changed 6 letters, but according to the article, they made the
> font larger rather than making it smaller. It still seems highly
> counterintuitive, especially for someone who has a life-long
> relationship with the printed alphabet as it is. Believe me ... it's
> hard enough to type differently using an alternative layout where only
> 30% of the keys have changed. And feeling letters one is used to
> seeing is even harder. That said, I used to be able to read the title
> pages of those old Winnie the Pooh and other children's books with no
> trouble at all when I was younger, and they changed no letters at all;
> they only made the letters easy to feel by eliminating most of the
> distractions caused by the little lines and extra tiny tails present
> in the more fancy looking fonts. Those letters did get a little small,
> but just increasing the font size to the size of braille or slightly
> larger would have made the letters quite easy to read on their own
> without changing their appearance.
>
> Imetumwa kutoka bibi yangu

Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail